BETSY LERWILL (1838-1909)
(July 20, 1838 - June 20, 1909, age 70)
Betsy Lerwill was born July 20th, 1838 at East Down, Devonshire, England, the daughter of William Lerwill and Mary Rawle. Betsy was christened August 12th, l838 in the Parish Church of East Down, Devonshire, England. East Down is a parish in the hundred of Braunton, county of Devon, 6 3/4 miles (north-northeast) from Barnstaple, containing 422 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at 18 pounds, 3 shillings, and 9 pence. The Reverend J. P. Coffin was patron in 1800. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. At a place called Nortcote are several stones, probably commemorative of some British heroes slain in battle. (Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England, 183l edition, 2:69)
Betsy was baptized on October 8, 1859 (some records give November 9, 1859). She and James Tucker obtained the license to marry on May 26th, 1860 at Florence, Douglas County, Nebraska. She received her endowment on December 1st, 1860 in the Endowment House at Salt Lake City and was sealed to James the same day. James was the son of John Tucker and Susanna Blackmore. James died June 19, 1925 at the age of 88 at Morgan, Morgan Co., Utah. Betsy died June 20, 1909 (age 70) at Morgan, Morgan Co., Utah and was buried at Morgan 24 June 1909.
Betsy and James were the parents of 12 children--10 girls and two boys.
1. Mary Priscilla Lerwill Tucker was born Jan. 3rd, 1862 at Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah and married May 17th, 1883 in the Endowment House to Charles Kingston. She died Nov. 19th, 1939 (age 77) at Ogden and is buried in the Ogden City Cemetery.
2. Lydia Ann Tucker was born Aug. 28th, 1863 at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah and married Nov. 25th, 1885 in the Logan Temple to Fredrick James Muir. She died Feb. 27th, 1944 (age 80) at Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah.
3. Susan Tucker was born Oct. 20th, 1864 at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah and married Aug. 14th, 1885 in the Logan Temple to John James Simmons. She died Nov. 17th, 1940 (age 76) at Oakley, Cassia County, Ida. and is buried in the Oakley Cemetery.
4. James Henry Tucker was born Apr. 3rd, 1867 at Morgan, Morgan Co., Utah and married Dec. 3rd, 1890 in the Logan Temple to Rebecca Althera Tonks. He died May 1st, 1935 (age 68) in Morgan and is buried in the Morgan Cemetery.
5. Emily Elizabeth Tucker was born Nov. 25th, 1869 at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah and married Sep. 23rd, 1891 in the Logan Temple to Gibson Asher Condie. She died Nov. 4th, 1952 (age 82) at Alhambra, Los Angeles County, Calif. and is buried in the Rosehills Memorial Park Cemetery at Whittier, Calif.
6. Lucy Grace Tucker was born Oct. 30th, 1871 at Morgan, Morgan Co., Utah and married Aug. 25th, 1897 in the Salt Lake Temple to Edward Wheatly Jones. She died May 16th, 1934 (age 62) at Byron, Big Horn, Wyo. and is buried in the Penrose Cemetery.
7. Bertha Augusta Tucker was born Sep. 24th, 1874 at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah and married Oct. 12th, 1898 in the Salt Lake Temple to George Ernest Spackman. She died Mar. 3rd, 1959 (age 84) at Farmington, Davis County, Utah and is buried in the Farmington City Cemetery.
8. Annie Tucker was born Sep. 13th, 1876 at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah and married Oct. 23rd, 1896 in Summit County, Utah to James Peter Clark. She died Jan. 26th, 1950 (age 73) at Elko, Elko County, Nev. and is buried in the Carlin Cemetery.
9. Rose Lerwill Tucker was born June 28th, 1878 at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah and married March 8th, 1900 in Logan, Cache County, Utah to Charles Leroy Van Orden. She died July 17th, 1950 (age 72) at Goshen, Bingham Co., Ida. and is buried in the Goshen Cemetery.
10. Lillie Lerwill Tucker (a twin) was also born June 28th, 1878 at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah and married Nov. 27th, 1901 in the Logan Temple to Willis Alvin Smith. She died Dec. 30th, 1953 (age 75) at Bountiful, Davis county, Utah and is buried in the Bountiful City Cemetery.
11. Jenette Lerwill Tucker was born Aug. 24th, 1880 at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah and married Dec. 12th, 1901 at Morgan to Norman Andrew Gorder. She died Feb. 7th, 1962 (age 81) at Ogden, Weber County, Utah and is buried in the Milton, Morgan County, Cemetery.
12. William Lerwill Tucker was born Mar. 29th, 1885 at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah and married Feb. 27th, 1907 in the Salt Lake Temple to Naomi Virginia Vincent. He died Mar. 23rd, 1942 (age 56) at Morgan in a train accident.
The obituary of Betsy Lerwill Tucker is as follows: At Morgan, Morgan county: Mrs. Betsey Tucker died June 20. In the death of Mrs. Tucker one of the old identities of Morgan county, Utah has gone. She went first to Morgan county in 1862 with her husband who survives her. She was respected by all who knew her as a loving mother, a true wife and a friend to the needy. She was born in East Down, Devonshire, England in 1838 and later heard the gospel preached by a Mormon elder. She was baptized and came to America. Here she met her future husband, James Tucker and they were married at Florence. She was the mother of 12 children, ten daughters and two sons, all of whom were at her bedside when the end came. She is also survived by 69 grandchildren and three great grandchildren. The funeral which was held in the stake tabernacle June 24 was attended by a large number of people and the floral offerings were numerous and beautiful. The speakers were Bishop Francis, Lydia Black, president of the Relief Society of the stake, Joseph Anderson, R. R. Fry, James R. Rawle, Charles Kingston, Willis Smith and Stake President Daniel Heiner, all of whom spoke in praise of the life of Mrs. Tucker.
Betsy Lerwill (1838-1909) chronological events
1838 July 20 Born at East Down, Devonshire, Eng. to William Lerwill & Mary Rawle
1859 Oct 8 Baptized
1860 Dec 1 Endowed in the Salt Lake Endowment House
1860 Dec 1 Sealed in the Salt Lake Endowment House to James Tucker
1862 Jan 3 Birth of her first child, Mary Priscilla Lerwill Tucker at Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
1863 Aug 28 Lydia Ann Tucker was born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1864 Oct 20 Susan Tucker was born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1867 Apr 3 James Henry Tucker was born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1869 Nov 25 Emily Elizabeth Tucker was born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1871 Oct 30 Lucy Grace Tucker was born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1874 Sep 24 Bertha Augusta Tucker was born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1876 Sep 13 Annie Tucker was born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1878 June 28 Rose Lerwill & Lillie Lerwill Tucker (twins) were born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1880 Aug 24 Jenette Lerwill Tucker was born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1885 Mar 29 William Lerwill Tucker was born at Morgan, Morgan, Utah
1909 June 20 Died at Morgan, Morgan County, Utah, age 70.
1909 June 24 Buried in the Morgan City Cemetery